CEO Summit Attendee Policy
Tiburon maintains a list of over 4,000 executive-level clients at over 450 companies who have engaged the firm, 1,700 of whom have actively participated in prior Tiburon CEO Summits. Tiburon targets CEOs as the attendees and treats the events as rewards for its existing clients, not as prospecting events. If you are an executive-level Tiburon client and would like to participate in a future Tiburon CEO Summit, please contact Tiburon's Managing Partner Chip Roame. If you are a prospective Tiburon client, please contact Sarah Sage about qualifying.
More specifically, the Tiburon CEO Summits have two attendee policies:
- Seniority: Tiburon targets CEO attendees and limits attendance to CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, & partners at its 450+ corporate clients. Tiburon invites the top 0.7% of its corporate clients� executives. Other managing directors, senior vice presidents, functional heads, and all others are not invited in order to keep the discussion focused on CEO-level issues
- Clients: Tiburon defines its corporate clients as all firms that sponsor the Tiburon CEO Summits, become Tiburon members (subscribe to the Tiburon Research Access Program), and/or purchase at least a single day of consulting each year.
Once invitations are extended, delegation is not allowed. Tiburon realizes that if substitutes are allowed, the firm may quickly end up hosting a vice presidents Summit, instead of a CEOs Summit. Due to the frequency and other commitments, many Tiburon clients attend Tiburon's CEO Summits only periodically, but are still granted seats as long as they remain active Tiburon clients.
Tiburon CEO Summits Title Qualification Policy
As noted above, Tiburon limits attendance to CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents & partners. Dozens of questions have arisen over the years. Tiburon has served over 450 corporate clients and in order to apply uniform rules the Tiburon CEO Summit Sponsors Committee has developed the following attendee policies:
- Broadest Possible Definition of Corporate Clients: Tiburon liberally defines its corporate clients to include all title qualified executives at all businesses under common, even partial, ownership. Hence, an executive at one subsidiary may become eligible for attendance because an executive at another subsidiary purchased Tiburon services
- Title Structures: Tiburon recognizes that companies have varying title structures. Experience across 450+ corporate clients suggests that the most common direct reports to CEOs are other C-level executives and executive vice presidents
- Verified Titles: Tiburon verifies titles through company web sites & executive LinkedIn postings. Tiburon also sometimes requests organizational charts to further verify confusing titles
- Public Titles: Attendee qualification is based on each individual's title as advertised on the company web site and LinkedIn web pages. Tiburon is unwilling to list any attendee at a title that is not consistent with the firm's published materials
- Professional Services Firms: Tiburon recognizes that professional services firms often utilize the partner title similar to how companies utilize the executive vice president title. Partners are welcome to attend the Tiburon CEO Summits but only those with the most senior partner title if firms have multiple partner levels
- Most Senior Individual Title: Tiburon recognizes that some executives have multiple titles (e.g., general counsel and senior vice president). As long as both titles are published on the firm's web site and/or the individual's Linked In web page, Tiburon is willing to apply the more senior title to the title criteria. In the case above, Tiburon would list the attendee only as the general counsel
- Most Senior Firm Title: Tiburon recognizes that a few firms utilize titles such as managing director or principal as their most senior title. Many other firms have partners above these titles. If no more senior title exists on a firm's web site, executives in these roles are invited to attend. This often applies to venture capital & private equity firm partner-level individuals
- Functional Head Titles: Functional head titles are defined as executives managing functions such as marketing, sales, distribution, operations, technology, or human resources. Functional heads are only invited if they have another qualifying title
- First Time Attendees: Tiburon offers first time Tiburon CEO Summit attendees the opportunity to subscribe to a single topic research subscription for $5,000 in order to attend. This single topic subscription provides an invitation for only one first time attendee
- Media Attendees: Tiburon invites publishing staff but not editorial staff
- Board Members: Tiburon does not extend invitations to board members including non-executive chairmen. These same executives though are welcome to qualify in their full-time roles
- Investors: Tiburon does not extend invitations to financial investors, e.g., venture capital & private equity firms, which have invested in Tiburon clients. These same executives though are welcome to qualify in their full-time role. The inverse is also true; Tiburon does not extend invitations to executives at firms invested in by venture capital & private equity firm clients. Again, these same executives though are welcome to have their firms qualify.
Tiburon frequently reviews its attendee policies in collaboration with its Tiburon CEO Summit sponsors at its quarterly Tiburon CEO Summit sponsors meetings. Tiburon is open to improvements in said policy. That said, no individual exceptions can be made as Tiburon seeks to maintain one policy for the more than 450 corporate clients it has served.
Tiburon CEO Summits Client Qualification Policy
Since Tiburon hosts the events, it is economic reality that the group must be limited to senior executives who have previously benefited from Tiburon's research-based strategy consulting services. Therefore, Tiburon CEO Summit attendees are sponsors; Tiburon members; & those who purchase at least one day of consulting each year. A wide variety of options exists for those seeking to fulfill the client attendee policy:
CEO Summit Sponsorship
Tiburon seeks to build a group of Tiburon CEO Summit sponsors who can envision participating for
the long-term. The cost to become a Tiburon CEO Summit sponsor is $35,000 a year. Tiburon CEO Summit sponsors receive:
To become a Tiburon CEO Summit Sponsor, please
Sage. Sarah or another Tiburon team member will be happy to
explain the sponsor benefits package in more detail to any qualified
attendee (e.g., CEO, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, & partners). Visit the Tiburon
CEO Summit Sponsors web page for more information.
- Attendance for all sponsor CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, & partners
- One time client guest passes (again for CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, & partners)
access & enhanced networking
& brand association
Research Access Program (annual subscription) ($25,000 value)
easy way to continue as an ongoing Tiburon client is to become a Tiburon member ($25,000), which gives all
employees at a firm access to all Tiburon research for a calendar year.
Most Tiburon CEO Summit attendees' firms subscribe to this
service. A few creative suggestions from clients:
to the Tiburon Research Access Program and assign it to mid-level
executives as a gift (and a requirement to use to enhance their
presentations back to you)
to the Tiburon Research Access Program and give it as a gift to a key
institutional or financial advisor client
Tiburon Consulting Time
Tiburon offers market seminars, strategy consulting, &
other related services within the brokerage, investment management,
wealth management, banking, & insurance marketplace.
Strategy consulting is the foundation of what is delivered at Tiburon. The firm believes that it has developed unique processes specifically to help financial institutions develop leading-edge business strategies. As a result, Tiburon has been engaged to lead a wide variety of strategic projects for a broad spectrum of product and service providers in the financial services industry. Tiburon's core capabilities are building on a firm's strengths, assessing its opportunities, & recommending specific product and market strategies. Tiburon's strategy consulting process is based on its in-depth market knowledge and extensive customized research conducted on behalf of its clients. Strategy consulting projects typically take two-to-three months to complete.
Another easy way to engage Tiburon is to schedule a Tiburon partner for a conference speech or to present a half day market seminar to a firm's management team on any topic which Tiburon has previously researched ($35,000 plus travel). A few creative suggestions from clients:
- Engage a Tiburon partner for a market seminar on any topic of interest to your board of directors and utilize Tiburon's participation at an upcoming board meeting or preparation day
- Engage a Tiburon partner for a market seminar on any topic of interest to your management team and utilize Tiburon's participation at a management team off site meeting
- Engage a Tiburon partner to give a conference speech at an employee or financial advisor conference or meeting
- Sponsor a Tiburon partner to give a conference speech at a non-profit trade group
- Engage a Tiburon partner for a market seminar and give it as a gift to a key institutional or financial advisor client
- Engage a Tiburon partner for a day and utilize the day to brief him/her on your business model (which will result in more thorough Tiburon research coverage)
Tiburon also sends invitations to executives at all firms that engage the firm for advisory board roles.
Three useful links:
clients can also contact Sarah
Sage about becoming Tiburon clients.