CEO Summit Attendee Policy
Tiburon targets CEOs as the attendees at its Tiburon CEO Summits, allows in only their title qualified direct reports, and treats the events as a core benefit of its Tiburon membership program, not as prospecting events. Tiburon maintains a list of over 11,000 title qualified executives at over 500 Tiburon members, over 2,000 of whom have attended prior Tiburon CEO Summits. If you are a title qualified executive at a Tiburon member firm, and would like to participate in future Tiburon CEO Summits, please contact Tiburon's Managing Partner Chip Roame. If you are a prospective Tiburon member, please contact Sarah Sage.
More specifically, the Tiburon CEO Summits have two attendee policies:
- Members: All Tiburon CEO Summit attendees, aside from a few speakers, are Tiburon members. Tiburon does not pick & choose attendees, invite attendees based on popularity, or invite prospective members in a marketing effort
- Seniority: Tiburon targets CEO attendees, and limits attendance to CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, partners, managing directors, & select other business heads at its 500+ corporate members. Tiburon added managing directors as a qualified title for Tiburon CEO Summit XLI to seek a more diverse attendee audience without losing the CEO-orientation of the events. Tiburon invites the top 0.7% of its corporate members' executives. Senior vice presidents, functional heads, and all others are not invited in order to keep the discussion focused on CEO-level issues
Once invitations are extended, delegation is not allowed. Tiburon realizes that if delegation were to be allowed, the firm may quickly end up hosting a vice presidents Summit, instead of a CEOs Summit. Due to the frequency and other commitments, many Tiburon members attend the Tiburon CEO Summits only periodically, but are still granted seats as long as they remain active Tiburon members.
Tiburon CEO Summits Member Qualification Policy
Tiburon CEO Summit attendees are all Tiburon members.
Tiburon liberally defines its corporate members to include all title qualified executives at all businesses under common, even partial, ownership. Hence, an executive at one subsidiary may become eligible for attendance because an executive at another subsidiary joins as a Tiburon member. Dozens of questions have arisen over the years about the corporate member qualification policy. In order to apply uniform attendee rules, the Tiburon steering committee has developed the following attendee policies:
- Parent Company & Subsidiary Companies: Tiburon is well-aware of the rapid consolidation of the wealth & investment management (and related FinTech) industries, and well-aware that some substantial companies are now subsidiaries (sometimes only partly owned) of even larger firms. Tiburon recognizes title qualified executives at both the corporate and the subsidiary level under one membership
- Investors: Tiburon does not extend invitations to financial investors, e.g., venture capital & private equity firms, which have invested in Tiburon members. These same executives though are welcome to have their firms separately qualify. The inverse is also true; Tiburon does not extend invitations to executives at firms invested in by venture capital & private equity firm members. Again, these same executives though are welcome to have their firms separately qualify.
Three options exists for those seeking to fulfill the Tiburon member qualification policy, including:
- Tiburon Corporate Membersship
- Tiburon Steering Committee Membership
- Tiburon Individual Membership
If you are interested in becoming a Tiburon member, please click here, or contact Sarah Sage for more information
Tiburon CEO Summits Guest Policy
Tiburon generally does not invite guests or prospective members to attend the Tiburon CEO Summits, which is consistent with the view that the events are part of Tiburon's membership offering. There are three minor exceptions worth noting, including:
- Tiburon CEO Summit Speakers: Tiburon invites speakers through a process unrelated to their membership status, and historical results suggest that about one-quarter of Tiburon CEO Summit speakers are not Tiburon members. Tiburon considers these individuals as speaker guests
- Tiburon Steering Committee Member Guests: Tiburon steering committee members, as part of their benefits, are allowed to invite guests who are title qualified executives who have never previously attended a Tiburon CEO Summit, and Tiburon steering committee member firms' board members & senior advisors. These are considered Tiburon steering committee member guests
- Tiburon CEO Summit Speaker Guests: Tiburon welcomes those non-member speakers mentioned above to include their title qualified colleagues (not friends or clients) as speaker guests so that their firm can more broadly experience the Tiburon CEO Summits
Tiburon CEO Summits Title Qualification Policy
Tiburon limits attendance at the Tiburon CEO Summits to CEOs, other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, partners, managing directors, & select other business heads. Dozens of questions have arisen over the years about the title qualification policy. In order to apply uniform attendee rules, the Tiburon steering committee has developed the following attendee policies:
- Title Structures: Tiburon recognizes that companies have varying title structures. Experience across 500+ corporate members suggests that the most common direct reports to CEOs are other C-level executives, executive vice presidents, partners, managing directors, & select other business heads. Tiburon recognizes that certain industries have title policies that may conflict with these rules. That said, Tiburon cannot make one off exceptions. Some more specific rules:
- Founders: Tiburon does not invite founders based on this title alone. If a founder is still employed at a Tiburon member firm, Tiburon evaluates the individual's present title at the firm, applying the Tiburon CEO Summit title qualification policy to that title. If a founder is no longer employed full-time at that Tiburon member firm, Tiburon evaluates the individual's former title qualified status, and may extend an invitation as long as the former founder still has a permanent office address, phone number, & email address at the member firm
- Board Members & Senior Advisors: Tiburon does not extend invitations to Tiburon member firm board members and senior advisors, including non-executive chairmen. These same executives though are welcome to have their full time employers separately qualify or join as individual members. That said, one of the benefits of Tiburon steering committee members is their ability to invite their board members and senior advisors. These are considered Tiburon steering committee member guests
- Consultants: Tiburon does not extend invitations to individuals working as consultants to Tiburon member firms. These individuals though are welcome to have their firms separately qualify or join as individual members
- Most Senior Individual Title: Tiburon recognizes that some executives have multiple titles (e.g., general counsel and senior vice president). As long as both titles are published on the member firm's web site and/or the individual's LinkedIn web page, Tiburon is willing to evaluate the more senior title versus the title criteria. In the case above, Tiburon would list the attendee only as the general counsel
- Most Senior Firm Title: Tiburon recognizes that a few firms utilize titles such as principal or executive director as their most senior title. Many other firms have partners and/or managing directors above these titles. If no more senior title exists on a firm's web site, executives in these roles are invited to attend but Tiburon certainly cannot invite principals and executive directors at firms with dozens or even hundreds of such
- Professional Services Firms: Tiburon recognizes that professional services firms often utilize the partner title for executives of similar levels of seniority where financial services firms utilize the executive vice president and/or managing director title. Partners are welcome to attend the Tiburon CEO Summits but only those with the most senior partner title if firms have multiple partner levels
- Functional Heads: Functional heads are defined as executives managing functions such as marketing, sales, distribution, operations, technology, and human resources. Functional heads are only invited if they have other qualifying titles
- Verified Titles: Tiburon verifies all attendee titles through company web sites and/or executive LinkedIn postings. Tiburon also sometimes requests organizational charts to further verify confusing titles. Tiburon is unwilling to list any attendee at a title that is not consistent with the firm's published materials
Tiburon frequently reviews its attendee policies in collaboration with its Tiburon steering committee at its quarterly Tiburon CEO Summit meetings. Tiburon is open to changes to said policy. That said, no individual exceptions can be made as Tiburon seeks to maintain one policy for its 500+ corporate members.