Discount & Online Brokerage Firms:
Providers of Everything From App-Based Trading to Comprehensive Financial Advice
Date Published: May 24, 2023
Summary PowerPoint Deck: 320 Slides
Reference PowerPoint Deck: 2,159 Slides
The purpose of this research is to provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of discount & online brokerage firms (as well as the consumer direct offerings from some no-load mutual fund companies), with specific attention being paid to the big three firms (Schwab Investor Services, Fidelity Investments, & E*Trade Financial), three other unique competitors (Interactive Brokers Group, Merrill Edge, & Vanguard Brokerage Services), and five rapidly emerging firms (Coinbase Global, eToro Group, Robinhood Markets, Stash Financial, & Webull).
This research starts with a context setting chapter, and then addresses the historical phases of discount & online brokerage firms, including:
This research defines distinct market segments of discount & online brokerage firms, including:
- Branches, Telephones, & Software Trading Phase
- Online Trading Phase
- App-Based Trading & Financial Advice Phase
- Consolidation & Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) Phase
This research analyzes the competitive factors for discount & online brokerage firms, including:
- Discount Brokerage Firms
- Online Brokerage Firms
This research outlines key service providers to discount & online brokerage firms, including:
- Account Types & Minimums
- Investment Products & Research
- Commissions, Fees, & Margin Interest Rates
- Technology Platforms
- Customer Service
- Corporate Structure
And this research makes several future predictions for discount & online brokerage firms, including:
- Technology Infrastructure Platforms & Clearing Brokers
- Market Data, News, Research, & Tools Providers
- Open-End Mutual Funds, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), & Other Product Companies
- Substantial Growth for Discount & Online Brokerage Firms
- Dominant & Increasing Market Share for Discount Brokerage Firms
- Growing Use of Fractional Shares, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), & Digital Assets (Cryptocurrencies)
- Growing Use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) Technology by Discount & Online Brokerage Firms
- Continuing Challenging International Opportunities for Discount & Online Brokerage Firms
- Modest Discount & Online Brokerage Firm Venture Capital Investing & Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)
- Continuing Discount & Online Brokerage Firms Mergers & Acquisitions Activity
Tiburon Members & individual research subscribers may click on any of the icons below to access any part of this research. The most widely utilized parts are the Key Findings (think factoids), Podcast Presentation, and Summary PowerPoint deck.
Please click on the Table of Contents icon below to see more details of this research.
Members of the media who would like further access to the components of this research may click on the icon below or send an email to Sarah Sage.
Tiburon Research Subscriptions
If you are having difficulties subscribing to Tiburon research online please contact Sarah Sage at
SSage@TiburonAdvisors.Com or 415-789-2540.