Date Published: October 10, 2017
Summary PPT Deck: 94 Slides
Reference PPT Deck: 226 Slides
The purpose of this research is to provide readers with a broad strategic overview of the wealth management business. The below reference PowerPoint document is the day #1 presentation made by Tiburon's managing partner at the most recent Tiburon CEO Summit. The purpose of this presentation was to to offer a unique method of summarizing a broad set of industry views, to set a discussion agenda for Tiburon CEO Summit XXXIII, and to introduce over 40 speakers. Along with the more comprehensive Tiburon research document The Future of Wealth Management, this presentation offers a broad overview of the wealth management business.
This research highlights the top ten wealth management industry trends, including:
- Consumer Households & the Importance of Baby Boomers, the Baby Boomer Retirement Crisis, Consumer Wealth, Delayed Retirements, & the Expected Liquidation
- Evolving Consumer Investment Approaches: Risk Management & Retirement Income Strategies
- Indexing & Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs): Market Returns & Cost Conscious Investing Here to Stay
- Socially Responsible Investing & Impact Investing: A Fundamental Change in Philosophy for Women & Millennials?
- Discount & Online Brokerage Firms: The Robo & Episodic Advice Trends
- Declining Number of Financial Advisors: RIAs & Headsets?
- Break-Away Brokers: A Slow & Steady Flow or About to Ramp Up?
- Nationwide RIAs: Nationwide Organic & Acquisitive RIA Firms Coming Soon!
- Financial Advisor Technology & Outsourcing: Continuing to Support Independence
- Financial Advisor Force Aging: Succession Planning Happening? Huge Consolidation Trend Coming?
This research then addresses five potential disruptors, including:
- Interest Rates, the Stock Market, Industry Profitability, & Industry Trends
- The Department of Labor (DoL), the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), and the Fiduciary Standard
- Tax Reform: Growth Engine or Deficit Creator?
- 2018 & 2020 Elections: More of the Same or a Reversal?
- Artifical Intelligence & the FANG Companies: Facebook, Amazon, & Google
And this research offers some conclusions for the future of wealth management.
- Industry Trends
- Industry Structure